January 13, 2014

Upcycled Mirror Frame to Earring Display



Hello all! 

Today’s post is brought to you by the letter ‘S’, as in ‘Silver Spray paint’.  

This craft was not done during my super awesome craft/cooking extravaganza week last month. I know I still have a bunch of projects to post from that week, but the project I did this week has distracted me. Check it out: 


“Ooo, nice earring holder, Kneesh.” 

Right?? 

I know, I made a cork board jewelry holder not too long ago, as you can see here, but I think this one is more elegant and better fits with my forever changing bedroom décor. 

Let’s look at what I started with: 


I found this mirror at Value Village one day. I wasn’t sure what I would use it for, but at $1.50, it came home with me anyways. I liked the texture of the design, and thought it would look pretty awesome in a different, less 80’s-esque colour. 


To start with, I had to remove that mirror. It was glued onto a solid backing. I used a piece of string, slipped it in behind the mirror, and used a side-to-side sawing motion with both hands to break the glue. 


Setting the mirror aside, I debate about when and how it will creep its way into a future project. This is what I was left with: 


That’s when the spray painting happened. I used Krylon silver metallic. It took about 3 coats. I say “about” because I am very impatient with spray paint, and pretty much start spraying the next coat within minutes of finishing the prior coat, making it hard to tell when one coat ends and the next coat begins. This is not proper spray paint technique, but it works for me! 

I sprayed the front of the frame, paying less attention to proper coverage in the center. 


I also sprayed the little metal stand, which was previously a brassy tone. 


And I love the way the texture looks in its new silvery garb: 


I used cork tiles from Dollarama, cut to shape (I traced the mirror! How handy!), and painted black with acrylic paint, to fill in the center. 


I always use two layers of this particular cork tile because it is so thin. I also -very crudely- rounded the edge of the top tile. Paint, glue together with E6000, then glue to the frame with E6000 (have I ever mentioned how much I love E6000? It will glue anything). 


I used tiny finishing nails as hooks for the earrings. 


Then I adorned it with sparkling jewels and placed it on that empty space on my dresser top that I complained about in my dresser re-do post. 


 Of course, one big difference between this earring holder and my cork board jewelry holder is that this one only holds earrings. So I made this wall-mounted holder for my necklaces: 


I don’t have pictures of the creative process because it was largely done with no plan or forethought. I used a frame from Dollarama and its backing, a piece of press board cut to size, a black piece of poster board cut to size, and a large drawer pull from Home Hardware. I really like how it turned out. 

So here’s everything together so far: 

Next on the docket, I need to do something about that cheepie full length mirror, and that little wood table beside the dresser needs some serious attention. Projects for another day!

 

1 comment:

  1. Im no expert, but I believe you just made an excellent point. You certainly fully understand what youre speaking about, and I can truly get behind that.
    Θωρακισμένες πόρτες

    ReplyDelete