October 05, 2014

Free dot-letter generating website



Hello friends! 

The snow has started here in the North! Yesterday was my birthday, and I can’t think of a better birthday present than a white, fluffy, snowy scene out my window. 

Today I want to give a quick shout out to a website I was introduced to last week. But first, the story of why this website is so valuable: 


I have noticed a trend with my kindergarten kids that those who can write their name, write it backwards. Every single one of them who can write their name, do so backwards. It was an interesting revelation. So, straight away I started brainstorming ways to A) teach the kids who couldn’t write their name how to, and B) fix the backwards habits of my name-writing kids. 

I started a few strategies, such as name pyramids, sand writing, sticker writing, and gel bag writing (I’ll touch on these techniques at some other time), but I just wasn’t getting the message through. Then the grade 1/2 teacher told me about handwritingworksheets.com. 

http://handwritingworksheets.com/


This website allows you to create dot-letter words in three different styles: print, cursive, or d’nealian. It allows you to set the font size, the line and font colour, and the degree of difficulty (dot letters, starting dot only, or a combination of the two). It also lets you select different templates for single word, sentence, or paragraph length passages. 

Using this website, I created a dot letter template card for each of my kids. I included a dot letter line, and a blank line for them to try their name on their own. I laminated these cards so they can be reused over and over. 


Now, every day before our first circle, the kids find their dot name card, and use a overhead marker to trace the dots and try their name on their own. Some kids are faster than others, some are neater, and some just do it to get it over with. 

Whatever the motivation or level of success, I have seen a marked improvement in every student in the class. Those who couldn’t write their name at all are now attempting to make their mark on their papers. Those who were making their mark are now forming more accurate letters. Those who could write their name, but did so backwards, are now writing their name properly and legible. It’s the biggest success I’ve seen so far this year. 

As the year progresses, I will be using this website to make sight word cards and other words of interest. The great thing about this site is its versatility. If you notice a word or phrase the kids are particularly interested in, it takes a quick hop onto the internet and a printer to instantly make writing practice sheets in order to capitalize on that interest. Inquiry based learning, dot-letter style. 

Now for my Northern picture of the week:
  

No comments:

Post a Comment