May 11, 2014

The end of an era



Well, it's done. My program has finished, I qualify for graduation, and once my application with the Ontario College of Teachers goes through, I will be a certified teacher. I've left The City and settled in to my new apartment in Even Smaller, Small Town Ontario. I've gained part-time employment at one daycare and one pharmacy, and I have a few more job prospects on the horizon. I'm cautiously optimistic about how things are panning out.

Now, if you’re anything like me, you easily form emotional attachments with inanimate objects, like shoes. Maybe these shoes:


I’ve walked many a mile in these shoes. I bought these shoes in 2006, my first pair of name-brand Converse shoes. I had knock-offs from discount shoe stores before, but they never preformed like these guys. These Chucks have served their time faithfully, and it is time to retire these beauties. 

But the Kneesh-Cons relationship is not over. Far from it in fact. On my last full day in The City, I was strolling through the mall and happened across a store that was having a Converse blow-out sale. Knowing that my Chucks had been hurting for some time, I could not resist trying on a new pair. And indeed, they came home with me. 


So, so clean… These shoes have a lot of work ahead of them. 

And as if signifying the start a new chapter of my life, I wore my new Chucks on my first full day in Even Smaller. 

But not before a photo shoot: 




So good bye old, faithful Chucks. You have been wonderful, and you will be remembered. I only hope your replacements are half as amazing as you were. 


And in case you are wondering about these totally awesome pictures, I made myself a light box! With all the empty moving boxes I have kicking around now, I simply chose a medium sized box to make into a light box. I cut off the flaps, cut large holes into three of the sides, covered the holes with white tissue paper, and curved some white Bristol board paper along the bottom and fourth side of the box. Tip the box onto the side with the Bristol board, and place it in a well lit room. That’s it. 


I’m still experimenting with the lighting aspect of the light box, but I like the clean look the backdrop gives. We’ll see how the use of this new tool develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment