September 18, 2013

Easy DIY Jewellery Organizer



Well, it took a couple weeks, but my apartment is 100% unpacked. *YAY* 

The very last thing I had to set up was my jewellery organizer.  


I made this organizer pre-blog, and therefore don’t have pictures of the construction process, but it was very easy, and only about $3 to make. 


Materials: 

  • A couple 12”x12” cork board squares from the dollar store 
  • White school glue 
  • Acrylic paint 
  • Push pins (about 45) 

Process: 

I found that one square was too thin to put the push pins all the way through without the tips poking out the back of the square, so I layered one square on top of another. To do this, paint the front and edges of one cork board square, and the edges (and around the outside of the front) of a second one. Once the paint dries, glue the two squares together, one on top of the other. 


There is no need to let the glue dry before moving on; just make sure you don’t shift the squares. 

To measure how far apart the push pins should be placed, I measured my biggest pair of hoop earrings. They were 2” in diameter, so each push pin had to be 2” apart horizontally. I staggered the push pins vertically, so I was able to place them 1.5” apart. It kind of went like this: 


Push in those push pins, and you’re done! I hung mine on the wall by simply hammering a couple nails straight through the cork and into the wall in the top corners. Hang some jewellery on those push pins and you’re good to go!

The nice thing about this organizer is that you can push your stud earrings right into the cork, just like the push pins (only don't push your studs all the way in). Now your jewellery is out in the open, where you can easily see everything, and debate about which ones go best with your outfit. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment