September 14, 2013

Student Life: Time Management



Over the past week I have truly begun to embrace the idiom “there are not enough hours in the day”.


Getting a Bachelor of Education is hard work guys! No… that’s not right… it’s time consuming. The work itself is not all that hard, but there’s just so much of it! Rather than the conventional course load of 5 full-time classes, I have 12 full-time classes, and 4 3-week practicums, all squished tightly into an 8 month period. It’s madness. The workload was not nearly this overwhelming during my undergrad or my college diploma program. 

That being said, I know that the key to success is organization. And I’m pretty stellar at that. I went out and bought myself a shiny new agenda, and that made me feel better. It’s (pleather) bound, and has refillable pages for upcoming years, and a little pen loop. It looks very spiffy and professional. 


The problem is that I’m too indulgent. I know that relaxation time is very important to me because I am a naturally anxious person, so I do not see time spent vegging on the couch watching tv as time wasted, but I do need to work on moderation. Two consecutive hours of tv watching is not constructive when I have a chapter out of each of my textbooks to read. 

While I was googling the saying “there are not enough hours in the day” to find a picture to put in this post, I came across a blog post with some sound advice. The writer suggested taking a moment at the end of every hour to honestly record what you did during that hour. At the end of the day, take a look at your list and assess what you see. 

I think that would be an excellent way to reflect on your day. Maybe you will find that you do, in fact, watch too much tv, or maybe you will find that you should give yourself a little more credit for what you have accomplished. Either way, self-reflection is a powerful tool, and making yourself consciously aware of the facts that make up your life is well worth the effort. 

Maybe I will record my hours for a whole week (minus those spent sleeping), since every day of the week has a different schedule in this crazy student-centered life I find myself living.

Operation Hour Tracking, commence!

No comments:

Post a Comment