June 14, 2013

DIY Embroidery Hoop Pocket



Organization time! My favourite!


Let me show you a very quick and easy pocket I made to hold small things at my front door.



No, it can’t hold a 5lb brick. It’s not even very good at holding keys, because of the bulk of said keys. But it is good for holding my sunglasses, my name badge for work, and my wrist watch (I only wear my watch while I’m at work). Living in a home with two cats, it’s pretty important that I don’t leave small items (like my watch) out and about for long periods of time, because I will never see them again, so this is my solution.

 

For this little pocket, you’ll need an embroidery hoop, some fabric, scissors, and a hot glue gun. My fabric was double sided so I used one side for the back and the other side for the pocket. Alternatively, you can use two different fabrics, or use the same fabric and have a monotone pocket.


Cut two circles from the fabric about 1” larger than the hoop all the way around (my hoop is 5”, so I cut my fabric to a diameter of 7”).


One circle of fabric gets folded in half. You can press this fold if you want, but I didn’t bother with mine. This will be the pocket part of your... pocket.


Lay the full circle on top of the inside ring of the embroidery hoop, then lay the folded circle on top of that, then press the outer ring of the hoop down around the whole stack. Tighten the hoop, and you’re just about done!


I put a ring of hot glue on the inside of the embroidery hoop (from the back) and pulled the fabric as tight as I could to press into the glue. I did the same thing for the folded circle, but didn’t pull while affixing it to the glue.


When the glue is cool, trim the excess fabric so it looks a little something like this from the back.



That’s it! It’s really that simple! Use the hoop’s adjuster as a hanger, and you’re ready to store some small items!


1 comment:

  1. Great idea Connnie! I might try a bigger version of this in Connor's room. Could use a small one near the door to hold his sunglasses too. We have lots of projects to do this summer!!!

    ReplyDelete