June 16, 2013

Toilet Paper Roll Wall Art



This weekend I held a yard sale, where one of the items for sale was a large print from Ikea in a large black frame. The frame was about 2’x3’. During the sale, a woman took out a tape measure and began measuring the frame. I told her the piece was from Ikea, to which she replied “oh, I’m just interested in the frame”.

Suddenly it occurred to me... I can use that frame for something! I can! But what? So I watched the lady size up the frame, silently hoping she wouldn’t buy it. She didn’t, and as soon as she drove off, I tucked the frame safely away from future yard-salers’ prying eyes. Before the end of the sale I decided on what the frame would be used for.

I’ve wanted to try out toilet paper roll art ever since I first saw it on Pinterest about a year ago. I never tried it though, because I thought the finished product would look awkward hanging on a wall on its own. Enter the large Ikea frame. Wouldn’t it look awesome if I hung the frame with no backing, and suspended the TP roll art in the center? I thought so. And I needed a new large piece of art above my new DIY upholstered headboard. Project time!
So I began cutting up some TP rolls. Pictured is 10 cut up rolls, but the finished product ended up taking about 15 rolls.


I cleared a spot on the floor to work, and put my frame down to make sure the size of the design was right as I built.


Then I began designing.


I started building designs, not liking the look, and starting over about 4 times before I came up with my final design.


Then the glue gun came out, and one roll at a time everything was glued together. I started at the middle and worked my way out. Be prepared to get thoroughly confused at this point... But when the gluing is done, you will be overwhelmed by the satisfaction of solving that puzzle.


Then I hung it on the wall to see how it looked.



Pretty good if you ask me. But needs some black paint on the rolls.

The next day I was on my way home from the store, black spray paint in hand, when I came across this hanging out on my neighbour’s curb side.


I was dumbfounded! My jaw literally dropped. Who would put that beautiful frame curb side? I mean, the colour was terrible, but I just bought spray paint. I scooped it up and brought it inside with me, dropped my shopping bags at the front door, and brought the frame to my bedroom. I held it up over my Ikea frame... It was the exact same size! NO WAY!! This changed everything.

Then the spray painting started. I sprayed in my back yard, and then brought everything inside because it looked like it was going to rain. The pieces went to the washroom where I could close the door and turn on the exhaust fan while they finished drying.


*Note: Got some spray paint somewhere you didn’t want it (like your bathtub... nice one Kneesh)? Clean it up with nail polish remover! It works on most non-porous surfaces.

Finally, I got to hang everything up and assess my work. My conclusion: Perfection



 Next step, get some black and white patterned shams and throw pillows for the bed.

What do you think? Have you done something like this yourself? Do you have ideas for what can be done with the Ikea frame now? Tell me about it in the comments below.

3 comments:

  1. I always thought it would look weird and awkward too- or, I don't know, toilet-paper-roll-ish?- but it turned out really nicely! Good job!

    Also loved the headboard, I will keep an eye out for that posr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace! It's been about a week and I still fall in love with it every time I walk into my room. I will be posting about my headboard soon (maybe next week?), so stay tuned!

      Delete