June 09, 2013

Yummy Pizza Bites



I need to remember for future food posts to include a picture of the food once it's cooked. Woops! Anyways...

I like pizza pockets. A lot. I would eat them every day for lunch and dinner if I could... but I don’t. The problem with pizza pockets, though, is the cost, and the lack of options for the stuffing (toppings? innards? I don’t know what you want to call them). To remedy both of these issues, I make my own pizza bites! And eat them nearly every day for lunch.


The original recipe for these yummy bites is from The Gunny Sack, and honestly I changed very little, because it was already awesome! None the less, here are my directions:


Ingredients:

3 tubes Pillsbury Country Biscuits (10 biscuits per tube)

1 250g pack of cheese – I use marble cheddar

60 slices of pepperoni, or whatever topping(s) you like.  I actually like to slice up German salami, but I used pepperoni today because it's what I had in the fridge.

1 egg (not pictured)

Parmesan cheese (not pictured)
Italian seasoning  (not pictured)

1 can of pizza sauce, for dipping


Directions:


Start slicing that cheese... you need 30 slices! I cut my block into 10 columns, and then cut the columns into 3 rows. (MATH!)


Open up your first tube of biscuits. Work with one biscuit at a time. Flatten a biscuit to resemble a lumpy, white pancake – mmmm... pancakes. 


Place a pepperoni, then a slice of cheese, then another pepperoni in the center of the biscuit.


Fold the biscuit up and over the pepperoni and cheese. Press the seams together so the pocket is sealed.


Put your biscuits seam side down on a baking sheet.
 
Crack an egg in a dish and scramble it around a little bit. Brush the egg over the biscuits. Sprinkle on some Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning.

(did anyone else notice that I'm short one bite? don't know where that might have gone.)

This is where you have two options. Either you can cook up your whole sheet of bites, or you can freeze them and cook them one lunch at a time like me!


To cook all of your pizza bites right away take that baking sheet and put it in your oven pre-heated to 400°F for about 20 minutes. Serve with warm pizza sauce for dipping.


To freeze your pizza bites, put your baking sheet in your freezer, just how it is. Make sure the bites are not touching, or else they will freeze together and you have to thaw them fully to break them apart! Keep them in the freezer until they are frozen (about 1 hour). Once the bites are frozen, dump them into a gallon sized freezer bag and put them back into the freezer for when you need them.


To cook one serving from frozen, take 3 pizza bites out of your freezer and put them on a toaster oven tray. Cook in your toaster oven at 400°F for about 15 minutes. Serve with warm pizza sauce for dipping... or cold pizza sauce. I always use cold sauce because once the can is open, it needs refrigeration (obviously), and I’m too lazy to heat up a portion of the sauce every  single  day. So cold it is. It still tastes good.


*Note about the pizza sauce, once an aluminum can is opened, contents should be refrigerated in a plastic or glass container. Especially acidic foods. The acid in foods can leach into the can and release bad stuff into the food. I switched all of my storage containers to glass a long time ago, and have never regretted it.

No comments:

Post a Comment