July 28, 2013

Bedroom Updates



I’ve slowly been trying to make my bedroom look a little more put together; giving it a unifying style as an attempt to class up the joint. I wish I had a before picture. It looked a little granny, and a little 80’s. But that is slowly changing! I’ve decided to go with black and white furniture and accents, because that way I can paint my walls with an assortment of bright colours, and everything will still go. 

The process started with getting rid of my bed frame, then I made my headboard, and then I made my toilet paper roll wall art with an awesome salvaged frame. You can see those projects here, here, and here, respectively. 

Rather than taking on the big project next, I decided to start accessorizing.


I bought some decorative pillows for my bed, but I’m not entirely sure how to style them. This is what I have settled on for now. 


But then today I found this pillow at Walmart: 


It has inspired me to go in a completely different direction. We’ll see where it takes me. Somewhere with a bolster, methinks. There may be some sewing in my future. (I try to sew as little as possible... My sewing machine frightens me a little bit.) 

While at Walmart, I also spotted this little gem of a lamp: 


The pattern on the shade is off center, which bothers me, but it’s alright as long as the lamp itself is not squared off. 

Not centered. *sigh*



So, so far when walking into my bedroom, this is what you see: 


And then you turn your head to the right and see this disaster: 


The mirror leaning against the wall is actually from the hutch that originally came with the dresser. The hutch is far too bulky and 80’s-esque for my liking, so I took it down today and propped up the mirror until I find a nicer mirror to hang on the wall. 

The big ol’ hutch. Garbage, or useable for a future project? 

Still needing to be tackled: painting my dresser black (that’s the big project) and finding new pulls for the drawers, figuring out if I should paint my night stand or get a new one, revamping a yet-to-be-found large mirror for above my dresser, doing something to fancify my full length mirror, finding/making some more small accessories, making some more black/white/grey-tone wall art. 

Oh, and did I mention that I’m moving in 6 weeks? I guess I should stop shopping and crafting, and get packing. Booo...

No comments:

Post a Comment