July 07, 2013

Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup



I love soup. I never liked it when I was younger, but I’m enjoying it more and more with each passing year. I know soup is normally a winter comfort food, but I like soup in the summer because it’s light and doesn’t make me feel stuffed and lethargic.

This week: Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup



The recipe I followed is from Key Ingredient with a couple changes. 

Ingredients:


  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 Tbs olive oil
  • 2 cans chicken broth
  • 2 cans condensed tomato soup
  • 2 cups half & half
  • ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes, diced
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1tsp black pepper
  • 1 Tbs Italian seasoning
  • 1 package cheese filled tortellini – mine was 454g (about 15oz) 
Directions: 

Put the olive oil and garlic in a large stock pot over medium heat. Stir it up until you can smell the garlic cooking. Add the tomato soup, chicken broth, half & half, sun dried tomatoes, and seasoning, and bring that to a simmer.

Once simmering, add tortellini and cook according to the package directions. I let mine simmer for about 8 minutes. My rule of thumb is once the tortellini starts floating, it’s done.


This was enough for 5 servings that were approximately 1 ½ cups (325mL) each. To store my extra soup, I use plastic freezer “jars” by Ball.


I picked up a pack of 4 16oz jars at my local grocery store one canning season for about $8. They are great jars, completely stackable, freezable, and top-rack dishwasher safe. I wash the lids by hand because I’ve read many reviews that said they’re prone to cracking, and so far in one year of use I have not had this problem. They come in a few different sizes too. And you can write on the plastic jars with dry erase markers! *love*

So anyways, this soup was pretty amazing. Like, restaurant quality delicious. I’m not a fan of sun-dried tomatoes, so I put them in the pot for the flavour during cooking, then ate around them in a bowl. Martin loved it too... 


No comments:

Post a Comment