July 21, 2013

DIY Four Square Scribble Art



Hey look! I received some advice from my social-media-savvy cousin this weekend, so you can now subscribe to my blog via RSS or email. Still available are the previous options of following my blog on Pinterest or Liking it on Facebook. So many ways to find out about new posts! They're all right over there → 

So today we're going to do some artwork. Here’s an easy art project that doesn’t take a lot of time or skill, but makes a big impact on a bare wall. I call it my Four Square Scribble Art.



I apologize in advance for no pictures of the process; this was a project I did a little while ago.

Supplies: 

4 canvases of the same size – mine are 8”x10” and were $1.50 each from Dollarama 

2 shades of one colour of acrylic paint, and white acrylic paint 

Foam paint brush 

Process: 

The first this I did was mix my paints to get the shades I liked. The lighter of the two medium shades and the darkest shades were the base colours I purchased (from Dollarama for $1.00 each). The lightest shade was the light blue base with some white mixed in, and the darker medium shade was a mix of the two blue bases. 

I use foam brushes for all my large painting needs because it doesn’t leave streaks the way bristle brushes do, but maybe you like the streaky look, some people do. Whatever you use to apply the paint, give each canvas two coats of its colour. Make sure to paint the sides of the canvas too, otherwise it may look a little silly hanging on your wall. 


The thing I like about acrylic paints is how fast they dry. By the time I finished painting the fourth canvas, the first canvas was dry enough for its second coat. 

Once the second coat is dry on all of the canvases (I let them sit for about 15 minutes), lay them together in the order you want them to hang on your wall. Lay them on top of a disposable surface (like newspapers) on the floor. They should be close enough to each other that they touch. 

Get your white acrylic paint, hold the bottle upside-down over the canvases at shoulder height, squeeze the bottle and swoop your arms around to scribble a design. I liked varying my squeezing pressure to make some solid lines, and some blotchy, dotted line. Have fun with it! 

It’s done whenever you’re satisfied with the look. It’s supposed to be scribbley, so there is no wrong end result. Move the canvases away from each other while the white paint is still wet, allowing it to drip down the sides of the canvas a little bit, and let them dry. 


The white paint will take longer to dry because it will be pretty thick. Also, my white paint cracked in some places while it was drying, but I think that makes it look even better.

After they are fully dry, hang them up on a wall, and stand back and admire your awesome 45 minute art job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment