July 30, 2013

Chicken Pot Pie

Ugh, today my computer is being buggy, so I have to write this post on my tablet. Not the most fun use of my tablet, for sure. Anyways...

One of my favourite go-to dinners is chicken pot pie. It’s is quick and easy, it’s a one-dish meal, it’s delicious, it’s freezable, and it’s in single serving portions. 


The recipe I used is an adaptation of Kraft Canada’s recipe. I like this recipe because the crust is crispy on top and gooey inside, and it’s super easy to put together. The crust is absolutely my favourite part of the dish... It’s good stuff... I would eat it all by itself if I could. 


Ingredients: 

  • 2 cups boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I use 2 breasts) 
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup 
  • 2 cups frozen veggies (I use corn) 
  • 1 cup flour 
  • 2 tsp baking powder 
  • ½ cup cream cheese, softened 
  • ¼ cup milk 

Directions: 

Cut the chicken into little chunks and cook on the stovetop until cooked throughout. 

In a medium sized bowl, combine cream of chicken soup, veggies, and chicken. 

Eww... This picture looks gross. It’s yummy, I swear. 

Spoon the mix into individual sized oven safe cups. I use aluminum mini pie pans I get from my local grocery store. Fewer dishes to wash, and they do well in the freezer. Sometimes this recipe makes enough for 4 cups, and sometimes 5... I think the size of the chicken breasts makes the difference there. 


Rinse out the bowl and combine the flour and baking powder in the same bowl. Cut in the cream cheese (I just use my hands to mix it in) until the mixture looks crumbly. Then add the milk and mix until doughy. 

Shape the dough into disks the same size as the top of your cups, and place them on top of the chicken mixture. 


At this point I freeze them. Wrap the top of the dish with aluminum foil, and stack them up in your freezer. 

To cook from fresh or from frozen, preheat your oven (or toaster oven for a single serving) to 400°F. Cook for about 25 minutes if fresh, or about 30 minutes if frozen – until the crust is golden. 

Mmmmm... Gooey. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment